Saturday 15 October 2011

My Italian adventures

In my last day in Italy I got really lucky! We drove to Barolo, Barbaresco region.  There were amazing views as long as we were going up and up the hills. Nebiolo and other grapes are growing at every inch of the hills. This summer was very hot, very unusual. So the grapes this year were harvested earlier this year- in September.
My friends and their friends took me to typical trattoria in Piedmont. We had mix of starters. Each one could be easily a dish of it's own. The taste is out of this world!
The atmosphere at this place is family-like. With the food we had a local Dolchetto, which balanced wonderfully.
Then there was pasta-main Italian dish and meat plates.
Italian dinner-never ending pleasure!
Semifredo- never tried anything like that in my life! So full of flavours!
There is something we can learn from Italians, they not just know how to eat, but how to drink. The wines are changing with food, one with starters and pasta, another with meat and sweeter wine with desserts.
And we had these wines not to get drunk but to have a harmony and balance with taste and aromas.
After this wonderful dinner we went to one of the small towns of Alba, Barbaresko area. I was ecstatic!
It was small, old town, with the gorgeous view. Everywhere one could find local wines, cheeses, grappa made from local grapes and lots of handmade jewelry. There were also home made jams and compotes.
Amazing weather, warm October,  warm atmosphere, people enjoying living.
Italy- gastronomical heaven! And this is just small part of this beautiful country. Country with a lot of history, culinary traditions and wine. There are so many different grape varieties in this country, so many unknown wines. I think Italy is still undiscovered. What we know about this country is just a tip of the iceberg.
nebiolo
local cheeses
Tomorrow I'm leaving, but I hope I'll come back to discover more. Goodbye Italy, and hope to see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment